Monday, September 3, 2007

Runnin' a Race

Inspiration struck me yesterday as I finished a meal with some friends after Mass. Dogwood carried a pamphlet out of the restaurant advertising some sort of 12K run that is to take place in a few weeks. Wanting to get back into shape and having never done anything like it before, I thought that running in some sort of "marathon" would be fun. I know myself well enough to know that going from 0 to 12K in two weeks is just NOT going happen. However, Dogwood suggested the Governor's Cup Road Race which takes place at the end of October.
I came home after a terrible movie at the Nick (sorry again!) and researched the road race a bit. They have a half-marathon, 8K run, or a 4 mile walk. The half-marathon is OUT. The 4 mile walk would be too easy. So I decided to start training for the 8K.
Now, I know to some running an 8K is as easy for them as it is for me to tumble across the front yard. However, for me, it is going to be quite a challenge. Luckily I have convinced five very wonderful friends to do this along with me. Their participation will motivate me to get off my butt and do some training so as not to look like a fool.
I was reading a little bit online about training for half-marathons and the like, and one of the questions was "what's your motivation?" Why am I really doing this? I thought about it and haven't come up with anything too good, really. I think it's a matter of doing something I've never done before. India changed my perspective on many aspects of my life, one of them being new things. I've always been rather hesitant to try new things for fear of failure. Even though many people have told me over and over again that they won't think any less of me if I fail, and that it's okay to fall short sometimes, I never believed the truth in that. I've since learned that asking for help, trying something new and taking the chance to fail is actually the brave thing to do.
I don't plan to fail at the 8K race, but even if I do--that's okay. I want to enjoy the moments with my friends and embrace this new challenge with an open heart and an open mind.

No comments: