Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Keeping Busy

UPDATE: WEDNESDAY NIGHT, dinner with Mom and Dad. Should be delightful!!!

Due to yesterday's {bad} news, I have decided to keep myself busy until this weekend. This will allow me little time to dwell or stew in the uncertainty and enable me to appreciate the joys and blessings in my life.

Tonight: One of my favorite television shows is on, Dirty Jobs. After that, I will enjoy Bogey in Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Wednesday: Not sure yet...need to make plans! (There are a few things I need to get done before leaving this weekend, so maybe this will be a good night to get all that taken care of.)

Thursday: Yoga with Stacey.

Friday: Massage in the afternoon. Movie (Lars and the Real Girl) with the girls. A girls' night out will be lots of fun!

It really is the every day aspect of my life that brings me the most joy. Sometimes larger events bring unbridled happiness, but mostly I try to notice how the small things can fill my days with delight. It's all about wonder; taking on a child-like sense of wonder and being amazed with the ordinary and mundane. Once I take the time to look around and witness the beauty, kindness and laughter that envelops me, I notice the extraordinary detail of each individual moment. It's this awareness that I try so hard to bring into my life for just a few minutes a day, just to remember how truly blessed I am.

Taking in the small joys of each day expands my feeling of being connected with the world, especially once I become more attuned to them. I know that the world isn't perfect, by any means, and I sometimes gravitate toward the injustice of it all. But ultimately, I have faith that it all means something so much bigger and better than I could ever hope for. A good friend told me last night, "Don't worry, Jamie. You will get your happy ending." And even in my darkest moments, I believe him.

No comments: