Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Brussels and In Bruges

Rather than just give you a run-down of today's events like some boring itinerary, I will actually regale you with a few stories complete with emotions. :)

We began the day around 1:30--yes, I know that's rather late, but jet-lag is a terribly hideous thing and caused me to sleep until about noon. Once up, we walked over to the area of Brussels known as Le Sablon (don't ask me what it means because I do not know at this moment.) There, we ventured into the Church of Our Lady which is home to healing saints and statues. It was beautiful but simpler than yesterday's cathedral. Here I prayed in front of the Blessed Sacrament for some time and felt a true sense of peace come over me.

From here, we ventured up and down the streets of Le Sablon wandering in and out of antique shops and had some lunch. At the cafe, there was some sort of "Hidden Camera" TV show being filmed in the alley behind me. Two guys dressed as bowling pins were hiding behind this black curtain and whenever someone would walk up the alley, the guys would come out and grab the person's arms. Another guy further up the alley would roll this gigantic bowling ball toward the three-some, and then the bowling pins would fall down! It was hysterical!

Off to Bruges! Unfortunately, no midgets (oops, dwarfs) were spotted and no one tumbled to their death from the bell tower. However, it was a gorgeous, sunny day and the town looked as charming as ever. I think we scoured the entire city, but my favorite place of all was the Chapel of the Holy Blood. It is said that this church contains a piece of cloth gathered by Joseph of Arimathea that has a few droplets of Jesus' blood upon it. It is also said that this dried blood turned to liquid quite frequently until the 15th Century when the miracle ceased. I was moved beyond words and knelt in front of this piece of cloth (although there were no kneelers) in complete and utter awe. I felt so close to God, but didn't feel worthy to be there at all.

After that, we walked around for a few more hours and then drove back to Brussels. Tonight I've got to get to bed so I can get up early tomorrow. We drive to Interlaken (about 6 hours from here) to the Swiss Alps. I am so excited to see the Eiger, but am less than excited about the car trip. Oh well, gotta take the good with the bad, n'est ce pas? Oui!

Update tomorrow night, hopefully!

1 comment:

St. Izzy said...

What is it about relics? Intellectually, I feel like I'm being a superstitious idiot, or perhaps just a willing dupe; how could this little stick be the crossbeam from the good thief's cross?

But there the willingly duped idiot kneels and prays, eyes moist and cynicism held at bay. I pray prayers others have prayed before me, kneeling together across time and hoping to be made more worthy of my calling.

I guess I'm more than just a little stitious.