Sunday, September 7, 2008

R.I.P

I came to Lexington, KY on Friday afternoon for a friend's wedding only to get a panicked phone call from my mom while I was waiting in the airport. My step-father has been ill for awhile and his condition worsened over the past week without him or my mom really knowing. Friday morning he was seriously ill and had to be taken to the hospital.

His heart failed and he slipped into a deep coma early Friday morning and he continued to rapidly deteriorate thereafter. My mom called me yesterday afternoon to tell me that Jim had passed at 2:15 p.m.

It's been one of the hardest weekends of my life--trying to balance the happiness of a friend's wedding and the pain of losing someone. Although Jim and I certainly had our differences, I never hated him as a person and it makes me sad to know that my mom is hurting so deeply. She's the strongest person I know and I have confidence she will get through all of this with so much grace. Right now she's okay--but what can you really expect?
So I ask for prayers of strength and peace for my mom, mainly. Thank God for my grandfather who has been here through it all and is the rock of the family. Without him, we'd all be a little more lost. We've made arrangements for a small service and gathering of friends and family for Tuesday night here in Lexington, which is what mom wanted--nothing fancy, nothing formal--just friends getting together to celebrate Jim's life.

I pray for the repose of Jim's soul and that he may be in heaven free from pain.
R.I.P. I love you.

3 comments:

Mattheus Mei said...

awww, my prayers are with you and your momszy

Dogwood Dell said...

Stunned!

Prayers for you and your family!

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

What a shocker for all of you. You and your Mom will be in you prayers, especially this week as you say goodbye to your step dad while you make so many other transitions.

I'm sorry I missed you while you were in SC -- Izzy had heard the wrong leaving date. Hugs from us to you, especially from one who has also had to bury a parent.